Teague in Freestone County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
William Rufus Boyd, Jr.
(January 7, 1885 - November 6, 1959)
Licensed to practice law at age 19; became Teague’s first mayor at 21. Regional manager of U.S. Chamber of Commerce during World War I. Joined the American Petroleum Institute in 1920, rising to positions of executive vice president, 1928-1941, and president, 1941-1949. In World War II, as Chairman of War Council of Petroleum Industry, he aided Allied victory. Married Gertrude Watson and had one son, William Rufus, III.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9859.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Industry & Commerce • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
Location. 31° 37.26′ N, 96° 17.857′ W. Marker is in Teague, Texas, in Freestone County. Marker can be reached from Cemetery Road 0.2 miles west of County Highway 853. The marker is located in the northwest section of the Greenwood Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Teague TX 75860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Llewellyn Notley (about 400 feet away, measured Town of Teague (approx. 0.8 miles away); The “Boll Weevil” Railway (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Teague (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Dr. Emmet Headlee House (approx. 1.2 miles away); John F. Wallace House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Captain Richard B. Haley (approx. 3.9 miles away); Salem Predestinarian Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Teague.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.