Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lee’s Mill Earthworks

 
 
Lee’s Mill Earthworks Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Lee’s Mill Earthworks Marker
Inscription.  These earthworks were part of General John B. Magruder’s second line of defense. At this site on April 5, 1862, Confederate General Lafayette McLaw’s four companies of the Tenth Georgia with Captain Joseph B. Cosnahan’s two batteries stopped the advance of Union General William F. “Baldy” Smith’s two divisions of the Fourth Army Corps and Captain Charles C. Wheeler’s six batteries. Several skirmishes and engagements occurred here between April 5 and May 4, 1862 at which time the Confederate forces abandoned the earthworks and withdrew to Williamsburg.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number W-71.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
 
Location. 37° 10.173′ N, 76° 33.834′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Warwick Blvd. (U.S. 60) and Lees Mill Drive, on the right when traveling east on Warwick Blvd.. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23608, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker.
Marker on Warwick Blvd image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker on Warwick Blvd
On April 5, 1862, Union troops advancing on Richmond were stopped at this location by entrenched Confederates. The strength of these fortifications caused the Federals to switch to a seige action.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Lee’s Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Warwick River (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fortification Design (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Warwick-Yorktown Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Occupation (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mulberry Point (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. McLaws's is misspelled on the marker.
 
Also see . . .  The Peninsula Campaign of 1862. (Submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.)
 
Lee’s Mill Earthworks image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Lee’s Mill Earthworks
These earthworks on the Warwick River were part of Magruder's second line of defense across the peninsula. They are located about a half mile west of the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,598 times since then and 11 times this year. Last updated on April 21, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171527

Paid Advertisement
May. 12, 2021