Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jewett in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

James and Julia Anderson House

 
 
James and Julia Anderson House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, April 19, 2021
1. James and Julia Anderson House Marker
Inscription.  

Ohio-born James Elgin Anderson (1836-1918) settled in Leon County in 1857. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861, serving with the Leon Hunters, Hood's Texas Brigade. After standing with Gen. Robert E. Lee at Appomattox in 1865, Capt. Anderson returned to Leon County, where he became a distinguished educator and married Julia Evans (1847-1897) in 1867. The Andersons purchased property here in 1875 and built a house with outside end chimneys. In keeping with Victorian trends, they remodeled the house between 1885 and 1895, adding a second story and the exuberant Eastlake detailing so prominent on the porches and along the roofline. A noted piece of Jewett's heritage, the house remained in the family for many years.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12399.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducationWar, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1857.
 
Location. 31° 21.67′ N, 96° 8.878′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Jewett, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of Weakley Street and Harrison Street, on the right when traveling west on Weakley Street. The marker is located in front of the house by the street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 Weakley Street, Jewett TX 75846, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jewett Methodist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); History of the Frisco Emblem (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hattie Barnes Adkisson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Manaen Turnbull Smith (approx. ¾ mile away); Colonel Robert Simonton Gould (approx. 6.7 miles away); Concord Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Site of Worthy Store (approx. 9.2 miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 12.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jewett.
 
James and Julia Anderson House and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, April 19, 2021
2. James and Julia Anderson House and Marker
The view of the James and Julia Anderson House from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, April 19, 2021
3. The view of the James and Julia Anderson House from the street
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=171546

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024