Concord in Leon County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Concord Missionary Baptist Church
The historic Concord Missionary Baptist Church was organized on April 21, 1855 by pioneer settlers prior to the establishment of the community of Concord. The first pastor was the Reverend W.A. Walker who is buried in the Concord Cemetery near the church. Isaac Burleson donated the land for a building. In 1855, a Greek Revival style building was erected. The deed for the church was recorded on June 7, 1856. The church was remodeled in 1961. On September 2, 2011, a Labor Day weekend wildfire destroyed the historic Concord Missionary Baptist Church sanctuary.
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9619.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is April 21, 1855.
Location. 31° 15.324′ N, 96° 8.373′ W. Marker is in Concord, Texas, in Leon County. Marker is at the intersection of County Highway 340 and State Highway 7, on the right when traveling west on County Highway 340. The marker is located at the pavilion where the Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Concord TX 77850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Boggy Community (approx. 6.1 miles away); Jewett Methodist Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Manaen Turnbull Smith (approx. 7.3 miles away); History of the Frisco Emblem (approx. 7.3 miles away); Hattie Barnes Adkisson (approx. 7.3 miles away); James and Julia Anderson House (approx. 7.3 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Centerville (approx. 9˝ miles away); Leon County Courthouse (approx. 9˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 22, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.