Vischer Ferry in Saratoga County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hamlet of Vischer Ferry
The ferry established here by Eldert Vischer in the late 18th century encouraged the growth of a settlement. Early settler Benjamin Mix began keeping a tavern by 1788 and a store by 1791. The tavern, built on the site of the present day firehouse, was replaced by a larger inn or hotel in 1797. This structure burned in 1947.
In 1802 residents built a church and gave the name Amity (meaning Friendship) to the growing hamlet. Amity grew and prospered and in 1832 a post office was established. The name of the post office, however, was Vischer's Ferry, not Amity. The post office dropped the ['s] in 1893, making it Vischer Ferry, and in 1934 the post office closed. The church has remained the Amity Reformed Church.
The Erie Canal was constructed through Vischer Ferry in 1822, by local labor. The opening of the canal between Albany and Buffalo in 1825 supported rapid growth of the communities along its path. Two dry docks, located within yards of this kiosk, employed carpenters building and repairing canal boats. These boatmen built many of the mid-19th century Greek Revival houses that line the streets of the hamlet.
Vischer Ferry became a National Historic District when it was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.
[Top Right:] The first Amity Reformed Church 1802-1871
[Bottom Left:] Erie Canal at Vischer Ferry, c. 1890. The bridge abutments to this canal bridge are here next to this kiosk. Remains of an Erie Canal dry dock are north of the canal bridge abutments along Ferry Drive.
[Bottom Middle:} The Vischer Ferry Hotel (1797-1947) as it appeared c. 1930
[Bottom Right:] Picnickers on the bridge over the Sluice way to the Vischer Mill, Vischer Ferry, July 4, 1891
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1891.
Location. 42° 47.662′ N, 73° 49.876′ W. Marker is in Vischer Ferry, New York, in Saratoga County. Marker is on Ferry Drive 0.1 miles south of Riverview Road when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rexford NY 12148, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Vischer Ferry Bridge (here, next to this marker); Ferry (here, next to this marker); The Vischer Family (here, next to this marker); Vischer Ferry Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Amity Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Ferry Road Bridge & Its Surroundings… A Brief History (approx. half a mile away); Vischer Ferry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lock 19 (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vischer Ferry.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Last updated on April 24, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. Photo 1. submitted on April 21, 2021, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.