Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
North Texas State Fair and Rodeo
The first recorded fair in the Denton area opened on October 15, 1885 as the Denton County Blooded Stock and Fair. Throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s, area fairs continued to recognize local livestock and agricultural competitors. The North Texas State Fair, as it is known today, began as the Denton County Fair in 1928 and was officially chartered in 1930. That same year, the Denton County Fair Association arranged for new fairgrounds, a tract of about 13 acres of land on east Hickory Street. The fair continued to grow and prosper with livestock and agricultural entries and a variety of entertainment, parades, music, and social events. In 1942, the fair was canceled due to World War II; it resumed in 1946.
Dr. W. C. Kimbrough, a pioneer Denton physician, sold the association 22 acres of land in northeast Denton in 1948 for $5.00. The Fair has been held at this location since 1949. During the late 1950s, several permanent buildings were erected on the fairgrounds. The oldest building, Fair Hall, was originally used at the World War II German prisoner of war camp site at Camp Howze outside of Gainesville but was moved to
175 Years of Texas Independence * 1836 2011
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16789.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Animals. A significant historical date for this entry is October 15, 1885.
Location. 33° 14.006′ N, 97° 8.27′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker can be reached from Carroll Boulevard south of Ross Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Christian Church of Denton (approx. half a mile away); University Gardens Texas Woman's University (approx. 0.6 miles away); The First Building of Texas Woman's University (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Baptist Church of Denton (approx. 0.9 miles away); Denton Senior High School (approx. one mile away); O'Neil Ford (approx. 1.1 miles away); Simmons-Maxwell House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mounts-Wright House (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 282 times since then and 167 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.