Copper Canyon in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Chinnís Chapel Cemetery
Elisha and Mary Stowe Chinn purchased this site in 1853 and donated 10 acres atop the hill north of Lockhart Spring. As deaths occurred among the early settlers to this area, services were held in the log cabin chapel, and graves were placed nearby. Travel to the cemetery was difficult, especially for those living outside the community. The wagon trail through the valley connected Denton with Lewisville, but a westerly road leading to the nearby commercial center at Waketon was needed. In 1885 a road connecting Chinn's Chapel community to Waketon was built, incorporating the old wagon trail. It was named Chinn Chapel Road.
This cemetery features a variety of grave markers. Among the oldest markers are those of limestone, while other early graves were marked simply with rocks. Often a larger stone was placed at the head and a smaller one at the foot of the grave. Some family plots display mounds of earth outlined with shells, a folk tradition brought to America by African slaves. Many tombstones are carved from native sandstone, while later monuments display ornate decorations, such as columns, urns, pediments and round-topped
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 833.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. A significant historical year for this entry is 1853.
Location. 33° 5.162′ N, 97° 5.161′ W. Marker is in Copper Canyon, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Chinn Chapel Road south of East Jernigan Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisville TX 75077, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Chinn's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Alton Bridge (approx. 3.2 miles away); Old Alton Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); McCurley Cemetery (approx. 3.7 miles away); McCombs Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Flower Mound Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.4 miles away); Smith Cemetery (approx. 6 miles away); Johns' Well and Campgrounds (approx. 7Ĺ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 33 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.