Second House Site (1767)
Old Salem Museums & Gardens
— 1766 —
The outline on the ground represents the location of the second house in Salem. Completed in 1767, it was known as the "Two-Story House" since it was the first of this height. Its neighbor was the first House (at your right), and like the others in this row of Salem's earliest buildings, was of fachwerk, or half-timbered construction, with a clay tile roof. The architectural form and design of these buildings speak to the central European roots of the Moravians.
The Two-Story House served various functions in the new town; initially it was the first Gemein Haus, or Congregation House, for church services. After the permanent Gemein Haus was completed on the Square in 1771, it was used as the Community Store, again until a permanent building was established in 1775, also on the Square. It briefly reserved as a Continental hospital during the Revolutionary War.
For nearly seventy-five years, the Two-Story House was the church-owned residence of the Meinung family of surveyors. After 1847 the history of the house is unclear, but it was removed before 1861, by which time Francis Fries had built a store here.
Erected by Old Salem Museums & Gardens.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1767.
Location. 36° 5.344′ N, 80° 14.547′ W. Marker is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker is on South Main Street near West Bank Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 480 S Main St, Winston Salem NC 27101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Herbst Shop on Lot 33 (1829) (within shouting distance of this marker); Pottery Kilns on Lot 38 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Salem Concert Hall (about 400 feet away); Davy House (1835) (about 400 feet away); Schmidt Blacksmith Shop (1768) (about 500 feet away); Home Moravian Church (about 500 feet away); Rt. Rev. Edw. Rondthaler, D.D. (about 500 feet away); Commemorating the Original Krispy Kreme Doughnut Shop (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winston-Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.