Winston-Salem in Forsyth County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pottery Kilns on Lot 38
— Old Salem Museums & Gardens —
Though Salem's main pottery shop and kiln were located across the street on Lots 48 and 49, potters fired some of their most innovative work here on Lot 38. Once a vacant lot used for storage by the town's first master potter, Gottfried Aust, Lot 38 became the location for the pottery kilns. Aust's successor Rudolph Christ (who had been Aust's apprentice and was Salem's master potter from 1789 to 1821) built the first kiln here to experiment with new techniques. He became well known for his fine earthenware products, including zoomorphic bottle forms like the one shown below. Because none of these forms have been found around his Bethabara shop, which he ran following his work with Aust, he apparently began making them after he took over the Salem pottery. They certainly became popular through the early 19th century, as an 1821 inventory of Christ's shop indicates that he was producing them in large quantities. Its role in Salem's pottery operations make further excavation on Lot 38 important to the study of the highly significant Moravian pottery tradition.
Erected by Old Salem Museums & Gardens
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1789.
Location. 36° 5.393′ N, 80° 14.542′ W. Marker is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in Forsyth County. Marker is on South Main Street 0.1 miles from East Bank Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 433 S Main St, Winston Salem NC 27101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Salem Concert Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Schmidt Blacksmith Shop (1768) (within shouting distance of this marker); Second House Site (1767) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mickey Coffee Pot (about 400 feet away); The Plank Road Comes to Salem (about 400 feet away); Herbst Shop on Lot 33 (1829) (about 500 feet away); Davy House (1835) (about 600 feet away); Builders' House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winston-Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 30 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.