— Old Salem Museums & Gardens —
On January 6, 1766, a dozen brethren came from nearby Bethabara and Bethania to the site chosen for the new Moravian town of Salem. That afternoon they felled trees to build a one-story log structure, known as the "Builders' House," for shelter during construction of the town. Following the formal occupation of Salem in 1772, it was used by a farmer and his family.
In 1834 Heinrich Shaffner was given permission to establish a pottery here on Lot 81. The Builder's House served as the pottery shop, and he added a kiln, dry house, pug mill, and warehouse to the operation (see image at right). The pottery operated until the turn of the 20th century, and the house and several outbuildings stood until 1907. Excavations on this lot by Old Salem Department of Archaeology (2000-2008) resulted in significant finds and new information about the Moravian pottery tradition.
Erected by Old Salem Museums & Gardens.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Arts, Letters, Music • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical date for this entry is January 6, 1766.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boulders' House Lighting Project (here, next to this marker); The Plank Road Comes to Salem (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mickey Coffee Pot (about 300 feet away); Salem Town Hall (about 400 feet away); Schmidt Blacksmith Shop (1768) (about 400 feet away); Salem Concert Hall (about 500 feet away); The Historic Brookstown Inn (about 500 feet away); Salem Cotton Manufacturing Company and Arista Cotton Mill (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winston-Salem.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.