Toledo in Lucas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Original Site of Toledo's Oldest Black Institution / Warren African Methodist Episcopal Church
Original Site of Toledo's Oldest Black Institution. In 1847, eight persons formed a mission parish of the African Methodist Episcopal Church (Sandusky Circuit). Reverend Henry J. Young, the minister, had come to Toledo through the Underground Railroad, as had some of his congregation. Richard Mott and Congressman James Mitchell Ashley helped the mission to rent a frame building on the southwest corner of Adams and Summit streets. The mission later became the Toledo Circuit of the A.M.E. Church.
Warren African Methodist Episcopal Church. On August 1, 1864, a cornerstone was laid for a new church at 15 N. Erie Street, along the Erie Canal. Frederick Douglass and Sojourner Truth, famous Black Abolitionist, spoke at the ceremony. In 1865, Reverend Charles Warren became the pastor for the congregation. In 1871, Bishop D. A. Payne dedicated and named the new church "Warren Chapel" in honor of Reverend Warren. The congregation relocated at 749 Norwood Avenue in 1950.
Erected 1989 by Warren African Methodist Episcopal Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 29-48.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RR • African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church ⛪, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
Location. 41° 39.116′ N, 83° 31.982′ W. Marker is in Toledo, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is at the intersection of North Summit Street (Ohio Route 65) and Discovery Way, on the left when traveling north on North Summit Street. The marker is on the street outside ProMedica Senior Care building across the street from Imagination Station. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 333 N Summit St, Toledo OH 43604, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 1894 King-Quale Elevator Fire (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Port Lawrence / Fort Industry, 1805 (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Blade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toledo (approx. ¼ mile away); Lucas County Catholic War Veterans Memorial Flagpole (approx. ¼ mile away); James A. Rhodes Plaza (approx. ¼ mile away); Engine House Number One / Neptune Engine No. 1 (approx. ¼ mile away); Lucas County (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toledo.
Also see . . . The History of Warren AME Church, 1847-1976. Excerpt:
In 1861, Henry J. Young, an African-American minister who came to Toledo from Kentucky via the Underground Railroad, along with a group of 23 Blacks, some of them fugitives from slavery, wanted to start a church.(Submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 1, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.