Burlington in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Mary's Churchyard
In July 1695, a group of local residents, including John Tatham, Edward Hunloke, and Nathaniel Westland, purchased a lot on this site on the west side of Wood Street "for the Conveniency of a burying place for themselves and also for all other Christian people." The original parcel was enlarged in 1702 by the purchase of two additional lots for the interment of both parishioners and non-church members. The earliest known headstones are those of Mary Steward, 1706, and Edman Steward, 1707. The churchyard has been the burial place for many people important to the history of St. Mary's Church, Burlington, and New Jersey.
Over the centuries, numerous prominent figures have been buried in the churchyard. Among them are:
* John Talbot, the first rector of St. Mary's, who joined the work of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPG) in 1702 and became rector in 1704.
* Colonel Daniel Coxe was a proprietor of West Jersey, a strong supporter of the Church of England, and an associate justice for New Jersey, and the first Worshipful and Grand Master of the Free Masons in North America.
* William Bradford
* Elias Boudinot, a Revolutionary War veteran who was a delegate to the Second Continental Congress, as well as its president in 1782, a U.S. Representative for New Jersey in Congress, and Director of the U.S. Mint, appointed by President Washington in 1795.
* Joseph Bloomfield served as the Captain and then Major of The Third New Jersey Regiment during the Revolutionary War, practiced law in Burlington, became mayor of the city, and then served as governor of New Jersey and later a Congressman.
* George Washington Doane was a rector of St. Mary’s, second bishop of the Diocese of New Jersey, advocate for the adoption of the Gothic Revival style for Episcopal churches in the United States, builder of New St. Mary’s Church, and founder of St. Mary’s Hall (school for girls), Burlington College, and 54 new parishes.
In 1883, a lych gate, designed by George W. Hewitt, was constructed and dedicated to his brother, Stephen Germain Hewitt. A lych gate is defined as a roofed gate in a traditional English or English-style churchyard under which a bier rests during the initial part of the burial service. The word lych, which dates from the middle ages, means “the
The churchyard was further expanded in the nineteenth century to the west and in the twentieth century with the purchase of additional adjoining lots fronting on West Union Street. Now encompassing about 5.5 acres, the cemetery holds countless burials in unmarked graves.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1695.
Location. 40° 4.638′ N, 74° 51.717′ W. Marker is in Burlington, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on W Broad Street west of Wood Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 145 W Broad Street, Burlington NJ 08016, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New St. Mary's Church (a few steps from this marker); Elias Boudinot (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of St. Mary’s Parish (within shouting distance of this marker); New St. Mary’s (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Mary's Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grant House (about 400 feet away); Office of the Council of Proprietors and the Surveyor General (about 500 feet away); Free Library (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Last updated on May 1, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 25, 2021, by Thomas Anderson of Haddon Township, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.