Sunbury in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Old Sunbury Road
Heading west from Sunbury, the road first led to the town of Midway, 10 miles inland. This wagon traffic provided Midway and local farms access to goods from around the world. Sunbury Road was most important before the Revolution, when the town of Sunbury was a busy seaport. By 1786, the town of Sunbury, along with use of the historic road, had begun a slow, long decline.
The Old Sunbury Road Today
During the Colonial Era, the Old Sunbury Road was lined with fields and forests of live oaks. The live oaks provided a shaded canopy which protected travelers from the summer sun. Today much of this [dirt] road is wider,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Places • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1786.
Location. 31° 46.076′ N, 81° 16.915′ W. Marker is in Sunbury, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker is on Sunbury Road 0.1 miles west of Fort Morris Road, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sunbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Sunbury Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint John's Lodge Number Six (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Dead Town Of Sunbury (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Morris (approx. half a mile away); Colonel's Island (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sunbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 914 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 22, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.