Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester in Franklin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Built 1930

 
 
Built 1930 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
1. Built 1930 Marker
Inscription.  These adjoining town lots, purchased in 1812 by Thomas Smyley for $132, remained residential property until 1930. David Spyker, one of Winchester's earliest residents, lived in a house here that was replaced by T. N. Arledge in 1882 and purchased by Mrs. Sarah Coleman in 1891. Leon and Rivers McDowell bought this lot in 1929 and built a new filling station on it with an open corner for vehicles to drive in for gas. A motor parts company and used furniture mart were here between 1946 and 1993, when Wade B. Anderton purchased and renovated the building for his art and antique business, the first in his block of brightly painted buildings known as "Rainbow Row."
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1930.
 
Location. 35° 11.224′ N, 86° 6.787′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Tennessee, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Avenue NW and North Jefferson Street, on the right when traveling east on 2nd Avenue NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 2nd Avenue NW, Winchester TN 37398, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker. Built 1947 (a few steps from this marker); Built 1937 (a few steps from this marker); Built 1894 (within shouting distance of this marker); Did You Know? / Knies Blacksmith Shop / Home Bank & Trust Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1958 (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1924 (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1935 (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1902 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photo   1. submitted on May 2, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172443

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021