Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester in Franklin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Built 1920

 
 
Built 1920 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
1. Built 1920 Marker
Inscription.  E. L. Collins erected this building as a drive-through filling station and garage on what had been a residential city block since the 1850s. McDowell Appliance Store took over the corner in the 1940s and was followed by Huber Paint Store from 1953 to 1984. Various shops and offices occupied the room on the west. The north section originally housed a seed and feed business. In 1938, the Farmer's Store moved in and was a local landmark for 50 years. Among the offices upstairs was US Senator A. Tom Stewart's in 1928.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1920.
 
Location. 35° 11.148′ N, 86° 6.81′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Tennessee, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of North High Street (Tennessee Route 50) and 1st Avenue NW, on the right when traveling south on North High Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North High Street, Winchester TN 37398, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Built 1920s (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); Winchester's Civil War Sites
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Built 1903 (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1914 (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Built 1920 (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity Episcopal Church / Winchester City Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1916 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Built 1920 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
2. Built 1920 Marker
Marker is on the column immediately right of the center one.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 3, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172511

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024