Historic Cosmo Community
The Cosmo community is located on the road that during the days of plantations led from the town of Fulton to St. Augustine, Florida. The origin of the Cosmo name remains a mystery but the residents of this small, close-knit black community took care of their own for many years. Residents of Cosmo traveled on a foot path to another black community located near the Mt. Zion United Methodist Church near Lone Star and Mill Creek Roads.
After the Civil War freed slaves settled in an isolated area near Mill Cove on the St. Johns River. They survived by hunting, farming, mullet fishing, crabbing and harvesting oysters. In the heart of the community 40 acres of land was deeded to James Bartley on November 7, 1877 by the Internal Improvement Fund-State of Florida. Land in Cosmo was also homesteaded by William Elliott (1821-1891) who is buried in the oldest grave found in the McCormick Cemetery located east of the Cosmo area on McCormick Boulevard.
Several generations of founding settlers are now buried in the Palm Springs Cemetery located off Ft. Caroline Road in the center of the neighborhood. Old family names like Bartley, Williams,
Two different churches have continuously served the families of Cosmo, the Church of the Living God, Pillar of The Truth, Inc. established in 1935 and the Alexander Memorial United Methodist Church built in 1900.
From June 29, 1888 to June 17, 1897, mail was dropped by the Jacksonville, Mayport and Pablo Railroad and Navigation Company – the J. M. & P. Railroad – at the post office established in Cosmo. After the Cosmo post office was closed the mail was sent to the Idlewild post office, the to Fulton.
A small wooden school house (ca. 1930) educated the children of Cosmo for many years.
1918 Arlington Map Including J.M. & P. R.R.
James Bartley 1855 Homestead Deed State of Florida Land Records
Cosmo School House, 1930 State Library and Archives of Florida
Erected 2009 by Old Arlington Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 21.712′ N, 81° 30.928′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Fort Caroline Road 0.2 miles north
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Edwin Craig (approx. 1.7 miles away); All Veterans (approx. 1.9 miles away); Spanish Pond (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Building of la Caroline (approx. 1.9 miles away); Fort de la Caroline (approx. 1.9 miles away); Timucuan Friends (approx. 2 miles away); The River of May (approx. 2 miles away); Staking a Claim (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 25 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.