Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester in Franklin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Built 1899

 
 
Built 1899 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
1. Built 1899 Marker
Inscription.  In 1817, a bank building was erected on this corner as a short-lived branch of The Bank of Tennessee. It was known as “the old bank building”, even when occupied by mercantile stores. The present building, constructed in 1899 for the Bank of Winchester, provided lodge rooms on the third floor and office space for lawyers on the second floor. World War II veterans H. H. Earle and T. H. Burt opened a barbershop in the basement in 1946. From 1910 to 1984, Farmer's Bank was a local landmark here and the tallest building downtown.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
 
Location. 35° 11.151′ N, 86° 6.724′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Tennessee, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jefferson Street and 1st Avenue SW, on the right when traveling south on South Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 44 South Jefferson Street, Winchester TN 37398, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Winchester (here, next to this marker); Built 1885 (a few steps from this marker); a different
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker also named Built 1885 (a few steps from this marker); Built 1963 (a few steps from this marker); Built 1893 (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Built 1885 (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of Our Franklin County War Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Built 1889 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Built 1899 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
2. Built 1899 Marker
Marker is on the left building, on its left corner.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 4, 2021, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172561

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 20, 2024