Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Shelbyville in Bedford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Coble House

 
 
The Coble House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
1. The Coble House Marker
Inscription.  
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
1835

 
Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureScience & Medicine. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
 
Location. 35° 29.102′ N, 86° 27.447′ W. Marker is in Shelbyville, Tennessee, in Bedford County. Marker is at the intersection of North Jefferson Street and East Lane Street, on the right when traveling north on North Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 North Jefferson Street, Shelbyville TN 37160, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church of the Redeemer (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); The Eakin-Smith Home (about 700 feet away); Henry Brevard Davidson (about 700 feet away); Austin C. Shofner (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tribute to Revolutionary War Veterans of Bedford County, Tennessee
The Coble House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, May 1, 2021
2. The Coble House Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Prentice Cooper (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tribute to World War I Veterans of Bedford County, Tennessee (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Shelbyville.
 
Regarding The Coble House. From the National Register of Historic Places registration:
Of secondary importance is the structure's association with one of the community's notable early residents - Erwin J. Frierson. Mr. Frierson, who built the house in 1835, was a lawyer who came to Shelbyville after having studied law in the office of James K. Polk in Columbia, Tennessee. Frierson served as an attorney general and in 1845 was elected to one term in the Tennessee State Legislature. … Dr. Neely B. Coble purchased the Frierson-Coble House in 1880 and used it both as a residence and as a place to treat his patients. Dr. Neely Coble's son Dr. Thomas J. Coble continued the practice of medicine in this structure where he resided until his death.

 
Also see . . .  Frierson-Coble House (PDF). National Register of Historic Places registration (Submitted on May 5, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 28 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 5, 2021, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172607

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021