At Mayor William G. Thompson’s suggestion, the Detroit Wolverines were organized as a major league team to play at Recreation Park. In its first years the team finished from the middle to the bottom of the National League. It began to improve after it was purchased by pharmaceutical manufacturer Frederick K. Stearns in 1885. In 1887 it won the National League Pennant and the national championship,
Erected 2005 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L1426.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical date for this entry is May 2, 1881.
Location. 42° 21.055′ N, 83° 3.307′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is located at the south entrance to the Brush Mall, Detroit Medical Center Main Campus near the DMC Heart Hospital. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 311 Mack Ave, Detroit MI 48201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American Academy of Pediatrics (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Friendship Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); Detroit Urban League (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alpha House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Detroit Medical CollegeOrchestra Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Brewster Homes (approx. ¼ mile away); Greater Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.