Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Studebaker in Detroit

Coming to Milwaukee Junction

 
 
Studebaker in Detroit Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
1. Studebaker in Detroit Marker
Inscription.  They moved into the Detroit automobile "neighborhood" in a big way.
Based in South Bend, Indiana, Studebaker had been the world's largest builder of horse-drawn wagons in the late 1800's. Starting in 1902, the first powered vehicles the company produced were electric cars. By 1910, Studebaker had acquired the E-M-F Company and its huge Detroit plant on Piquette Avenue and was producing gas-powered automobiles. The next year, Studebaker bought the Ford Piquette Avenue Plant at Beaubien for additional vehicle assembly, and soon Studebaker and Ford Motor Company were two of the highest-volume automakers in the world.

You Auto Know
Studebaker continued to build horse-drawn vehicles in its South Bend, Indiana plants until 1920.
 
Erected by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1902.
 
Location. 42° 22.097′ N, 83° 3.924′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County
Studebaker in Detroit Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
2. Studebaker in Detroit Marker
The marker is on the far right.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of Piquette Avenue and Beaubien Boulevard, on the right when traveling east on Piquette Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 461 Piquette Ave, Detroit MI 48202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Milwaukee Junction (here, next to this marker); Ford's Model T (here, next to this marker); Steps to Success (here, next to this marker); At The Height Of His Powers (a few steps from this marker); Creating A Legend (a few steps from this marker); Ford Piquette Plant (within shouting distance of this marker); Detroit Association of Women's Clubs (approx. 0.4 miles away); Omega Psi Phi (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
 
Also see . . .  Studebaker History at Wikipedia.
The former Ford Piquette Avenue Plant, located across Brush Street from the old E-M-F plant in the Milwaukee Junction area of Detroit, was purchased from Ford in January 1911 to become Studebaker Plant 10, used for assembly work until 1933.
(Submitted on July 20, 2022, by Lou Donkle of Valparaiso, Indiana.) 
 
Studebaker-EMF Touring 1916 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou
3. Studebaker-EMF Touring 1916
1916 Studebaker Model ED Touring on display at Ford Piquette Plant Museum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Lou Donkle, July 16, 2022
4. 1916 Studebaker Model ED Touring on display at Ford Piquette Plant Museum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 271 times since then and 198 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   4. submitted on July 20, 2022, by Lou Donkle of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172665

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 7, 2022