Kingwood in Preston County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
The Preston County Bell
In 1870, this bronze bell was cast at the Meneely Bell Foundry in West Troy, NY to mark the end of the United States Civil War.
The rededication of this bell now marks the bicentennial of the creation of Preston County, WV in 1818.
Topics and series. This memorial is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 39° 28.313′ N, 79° 41.286′ W. Marker is in Kingwood, West Virginia, in Preston County. Memorial is at the intersection of West Main Street (West Virginia Route 7) and South Price Street, on the left when traveling west on West Main Street. Marker is in front of the Preston County Court House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 West Main Street, Kingwood WV 26537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Operation Desert Shield / Operation Desert Storm (here, next to this marker); Kingwood (a few steps from this marker); Preston County CourthousePreston County Civil War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Price's Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); “The Pines” (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); James C. McGrew (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. This page has been viewed 56 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on May 6, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 3, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. 3. submitted on October 4, 2020, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.