Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Detroit in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Martin Kundig

 
 
Martin Kundig Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
1. Martin Kundig Marker
Inscription.  This site bears the name of Father Martin Kundig, Wayne County’s first superintendent of the poor. Born in 1805 in Switzerland, Kundig was educated in Rome, and served in the Swiss Papal Guard, before coming to work in the Diocese of Detroit in 1833. A year later, a cholera epidemic broke out in the city, and the Catholic Female Association, organized by Kundig, assumed the burden of nursing, burying the dead, and caring for the orphans. Kundig’s medical skill, administrative ability, and compassion was recognized, and in 1834 the county board of supervisors appointed him superintendent of the poor. Kundig organized the German Catholic School, helped build St. Mary’s Church, and was appointed a regent of the state university. In 1846 he moved to Wisconsin, where he died in 1879.
 
Erected 1975 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L0398.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1833.
 
Location.
Martin Kundig Marker image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 5, 2021
2. Martin Kundig Marker
Taken from the service drive
Click or scan to see
this page online
42° 20.106′ N, 83° 5.315′ W. Marker is in Detroit, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is at the intersection of Jeffries Service Drive and Ash Street, on the right when traveling north on Jeffries Service Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3300 Jeffries Service Dr, Detroit MI 48208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ste. Anne Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); Gabriel Richard (approx. 1.1 miles away); Bailey Temple Church Of God In Christ (approx. 1.2 miles away); West Canfield Historic District (approx. 1.6 miles away); Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Elijah McCoy Homesite (approx. 1.7 miles away); Grand Army of the Republic Building (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Unitarian Universalist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Detroit.
 
Also see . . .  Kundig, Martin. Excerpt:
After spending three years in southern Ohio, he was transferred to Detroit, MI, where he founded parishes and was active in civic affairs. During a cholera epidemic in 1834 he set up relief services, among them a hospital.
(Submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.) 
 
St. Mary's Church Marker about 3 mi east in the heart of Greek Town. image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou, May 3, 2021
3. St. Mary's Church Marker about 3 mi east in the heart of Greek Town.
Marker recognizes Father Kundig as founder of St. Mary's Church.
St. Mary Church image. Click for full size.
By J.T. Lambrou
4. St. Mary Church
Located at 646 Monroe Street in section now called Greektown, Father Martin Kundig founded St. Mary in 1834 to serve the German-speaking Catholic immigrants who settled in this part of the city.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 36 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 6, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=172685

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021