First Bell and New Foundation
Saint Paul's Lutheran Church
The original church remained much like it had been constructed the first eighteen years. In 1886 the church got its first bell at a cost of $319.51. The same year a new concrete foundation was also installed.
In 1886 the first pipe organ was purchased from Karl Barkhoff of Norwalk, Ohio. Costing $900 it was installed before Easter of that year. There being no electric power the organ was operated with hand-pumped bellows. Herman Westenfeldt, teacher of the congregation's German parochial school at that time, was the first organist.
In 1904 the interior of the church was remodeled and considerably changed. This included a new altar, pulpit, and pews. Arches were built to form a chancel area and a sacristy division was made within this area. The old sacristy was not used at this time. A furnace replacing the two wood stoves was also installed. An artist from Fort Wayne, Indiana, was engaged to paint the pictures in the altar, The old altar and pulpit were given to St.
George Aschemeier wired the church for electric service in 1919. Membership was purchased in the Okolona Farmers Light Company to obtain the electric power. An electric blower was purchased for the organ eliminating the need for someone pumping the bellows while the organ was being played.
The year 1928 saw the last major remodeling on the old church. On the committee for this project were: Oberhaus, Martin Rickenberg, and Edward Sonnenberg. Martin Rickenberg was George Wiemken, Carl Bockelman, Fred also the builder.
Improvements at that time included: a wing sixteen feet out and thirty feet wide built out from the main structure on each side, a small entrance room in each of the front corners, (the entrance room in the southwest corner was added later), and a small room for the organ on the northwest corner. Also added at that time was a full basement, plaster-painted walls, and stained glass windows in the chancel and in the center entrance area. The old sacristy was remodeled and was once more used. The molded picture of the Last Supper was added to the altar at that time. A new Schantz pipe organ was also installed.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Communications. A significant historical date for this entry is November 11, 1928.
Location. 41° 24.39′ N, 84° 11.396′ W. Marker is near Napoleon, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is at the intersection of County Road 17 and County Road Q, on the left when traveling north on County Road 17. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16976 Co Rd Q1, Napoleon OH 43545, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Parish School (here, next to this marker); Building the Church (here, next to this marker); William F. Baden (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Zion Lutheran Church and Cemetery (approx. 1.4 miles away); Kevin Sonnenberg (approx. 2˝ miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); a different marker also named Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.9 miles away); You Are On The Buckeye Trail (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Napoleon.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 6, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.