Albany in Dougherty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Teresa's Catholic Church
The church was completed after the war and, although used for Catholic worship services, it was not dedicated until 1882. On November 19 of that year, The Most Rev. William H. Gross, D. D., Bishop of Savannah, presided at the ceremony dedicating the church under the patronage of St. Teresa of Avila. The date chosen coincided with the fiftieth wedding anniversary of John Valentine and Elizabeth Schmidt Mock, pioneer settlers of the community.
The interior of the church was remodeled in 1902. The altar, pews and stained glass windows date from that time. Restoration of the church was completed in 1980.
St. Teresa's Church is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and in 1980
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 31° 34.996′ N, 84° 9.306′ W. Marker is in Albany, Georgia, in Dougherty County. Marker is on West Residence Avenue east of North Jefferson Street (Georgia Route 91), on the left when traveling east. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, directly in front of the church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 313 West Residence Avenue, Albany GA 31701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. De Soto in Georgia (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colonel Nelson Tift (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dougherty County (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freedom Alley and City Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Albany’s First Brick House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Albany Lights (approx. half a mile away); C.B. (Chevene Bowers) King (approx. half a mile away); Phoebe Putney Memorial Hospital (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Regarding St. Teresa's Catholic Church. National Register of Historic Places #75000589.
Also see . . .
1. Old St. Teresa Catholic Church (Wikipedia). A new larger parish church was dedicated into use in 1958, but the downtown location was kept as a second church. A Mass is conducted every Wednesday at noon at the Residence Avenue address. (Submitted on May 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. National Register of Historic Places Nomination. (Submitted on May 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 52 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 6, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.