Liberty Center, Ohio / Wabash Depot
Liberty Center, Ohio. In 1847, after completion of the Miami & Erie Canal, 66 residents were recorded in Liberty Township. Construction of Wabash Railway in 1854 encouraged trade at the half way point between Washington Station and Napoleon. Proprietors such as George W. Buchanan, Frank Prey, Alexander Cooper, and Benjamin Penncock began business around 1860. On June 4, 1863, Alphaeus Buchanan registered a plot of 12 lots, which became Liberty Center. On April 9, 1874, the Village of Liberty Center was incorporated and became a prosperous town along the Wabash Railway.
Wabash Depot. Early settler Calvin C. Young built, at his own expense, the first railroad depot in Liberty Center. He allowed the Wabash Railway to use this depot rent free. Young's depot was moved to 361 East Maple Street and converted into a home. In 1891, a replacement depot was built and lengthened in 1907 making the office larger. In 1959 the last passenger train made its stop in Liberty Center and n 1965 the depot was closed. Fearing the depot's demolition, the Liberty Center Historical Society formed, moving the structure across
Erected 2018 by The Liberty Center Historical Society Inc., Village of Liberty Center, and The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 7-35.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 9, 1874.
Location. 41° 26.63′ N, 84° 0.544′ W. Marker is in Liberty Center, Ohio, in Henry County. Marker is on West Wabash Street just west of South Damascus Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 S Damascus St, Liberty Center OH 43532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fredrick Steward Memorial Park (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Liberty Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Liberty Center (approx. 0.6 miles away); Prairie Des Mascoutins / Damascus (approx. 2.3 miles away); Oak Tree (approx. 2.6 miles away); Texas Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); James Durbin (approx. 3½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty Center.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 7, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.