Jamestown in Chautauqua County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The First Newspaper
On this site in 1825
Adolphus Fletcher erected
a two-story building
and on a wooden press
printed the first issue
of the Jamestown Journal,
June 21, 1826.
The building was removed
Erected 1927 by The Jamestown Centennial Committee and the State of New York.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Events. A significant historical date for this entry is June 21, 1826.
Location. 42° 5.843′ N, 79° 14.486′ W. Marker is in Jamestown, New York, in Chautauqua County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (New York State Route 60) and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 410 North Main Street, Jamestown NY 14701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Keyes' Carpenter Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named "Keyes' Carpenter Shop" (within shouting distance of this marker); Thurston Block (within Here the First School House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tew Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Edith M. Ainge (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Furniture Factory (about 300 feet away); Site of Gurney Ball Bearing Co. (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamestown.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 138 times since then and 16 times this year. Last updated on May 7, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 16, 2017, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.