Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Spanish on Jekyll Island
Within sight and sound of St. Simons Island, Jekyll Island was ideal for entertaining Spanish visitors to the settlement at Frederica. Major William Horton, resident of the island, received the guests while Oglethorpe on St. Simons, with cannon booming and his few soldiers appearing and reappearing on the south beach, professed a strength he did not have.
In 1736, Spanish Commissioners Don Pedro Lamberto and Don Manuel d'Arcy, sent by Governor Sanchez of St. Augustine to discuss rival claims to the Georgia coast, were feted on Jekyll. On board the Sloop Hawk in Jekyll Sound, kilted Highlanders from Darien with clanging broadswords, Tomo-Chi-Chi and Hyllispilli with about 30 of their "chiefest" Indians in war paint and regalia loudly denounced the Spanish and helped Oglethorpe impress the visitors with strength and good will of the colonists. Agreeing to leave all questions to the courts of Spain and England, the emissaries returned to St. Augustine pleased with their mission. Angered by the decision, Spain recalled and executed Governor Sanchez.
After the Battle of Bloody Marsh, the Spaniards burned the buildings
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-35.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1736.
Location. 31° 6.457′ N, 81° 24.762′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Beachview Drive and Clam Creek Road, on the right when traveling west on Beachview Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Horton House Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Horton House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Horton House Harvest (approx. 0.4 miles away); Poulain du Bignon and du Bignon Burying Ground (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Tabby (approx. 0.4 miles away); Major William Horton (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Battle of Bloody Marsh and Gully Hole Creek
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 23, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 876 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.