Near The Bend in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Original Site of St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Cemetery and Log Church
In 1855, Pioneer Roman Catholic settlers of the Black Swamp erected a 16 x 24 log church where you are now standing reserving the land beside it for their cemetery thus founding St. Stephen's Parish.
Here they assembled to worship God with Farther Francis Wusterholt as their priest.
In 1880 after the log church was destroyed by fire, the present St. Stephen's church was erected in Delaware Bend.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 41° 16.491′ N, 84° 29.71′ W. Marker is near The Bend, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is on County Route 424, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tale of Ensign James Liggett / Major Adam Charles Muir, 41st Regiment of Foot (approx. 1.1 miles away); Kieffer Log Cabin (approx. 2.9 miles away); Caboose 90950 (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mollasses ProductionMollasses Produced Since 1850's (approx. 3 miles away); Sherwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away); G.A.R. Soldiers Monument (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named Sherwood Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 11, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.