The Clubhouse The Woman's Club of Beaumont
Early meetings of the Woman's Reading Club, now the Woman's Club of Beaumont, were conducted in area homes, churches, and public buildings until 1909, when this two-story frame clubhouse was built. Constructed during the presidencies of Mrs. John B. Goodhue and Mrs. J. L. Cunningham, it was designed by C. C. McDonald. T. W. Thomas served as the contractor.
Because of the club's interest in promoting the development of area libraries, interior space was provided for cultural collections. An auditorium and stage were also included. One of the earliest meetings halls in the area, it was shared with a variety of community groups. The first civic function here was the 1909 banquet of the Oil Producers Association. Interior furnishings include four grand pianos for use by the club's piano ensemble, organized in 1932.
During World Wars I and II, the clubhouse was used for Red Cross activities. Members contributed to the war effort by making bandages and by conducting collection drives for supplies. The building has also been used for Civil Defense classes and as a relief shelter for victims of area disasters.
Incised in bottom
Mrs. Gilbert T. Viola Jossi Adams - Historian and Researcher
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10501.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women.
Location. 30° 5.203′ N, 94° 6.263′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Magnolia Street south of McFadden Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 575 Magnolia Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Woman's Club of Beaumont (here, next to this marker); Young Men's Christian Association Of Beaumont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holmes Duke House (about 600 feet away); Congregation Temple Emanuel (about 800 feet away); First United Methodist Church Of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Young Women's Christian Association Of Beaumont (approx. Ό mile away); Westminster Presbyterian Church Of Beaumont (approx. 0.3 miles away); Enterprise-Journal (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
More about this marker. Located on the front porch of the building.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.