Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Beaumont in Jefferson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Woman's Club of Beaumont

 
 
The Woman's Club of Beaumont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler, April 28, 2021
1. The Woman's Club of Beaumont Marker
Inscription.  On January 18, 1895, Mrs. Hal W. Greer hosted a meeting at her home which resulted in the formation of this club. Present were Mrs. Greer's friends Mrs. E. C. Weiss, Mrs. T. A. Lamb, Miss Mary Lamb, and Miss Harriet Ferrand. Through their guidance, the Beaumont Literary Club was organized. On April 24, 1899, as the Woman's Reading Club, it was affiliated with the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs. It was chartered by the state in 1905.

In 1908, while plans were being developed for the construction of a clubhouse, the group organized as a Department Club. Existing cultural associations, including the Shakespeare Club and the Matinee Music Club, joined the organization as departments.

Completed in 1909, the clubhouse became the center for club activities, which have included art exhibits and Civil Defense preparedness classes. It has been shared with the community through the years for a variety of civic functions and social gatherings.

The club name was changed in 1927 to the Woman's Club of Beaumont. Originally a cultural organization, it has become a leader in community development. Many prominent area women, including leaders of the

The Woman's Club of Beaumont Marker image. Click for full size.
By Cajun Scrambler
2. The Woman's Club of Beaumont Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
state organization, have been members here.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10581.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsWomen.
 
Location. 30° 5.203′ N, 94° 6.264′ W. Marker is in Beaumont, Texas, in Jefferson County. Marker is on Magnolia Street south of McFadden Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 575 Magnolia Street, Beaumont TX 77701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Clubhouse The Woman's Club of Beaumont (here, next to this marker); Young Men's Christian Association Of Beaumont (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Holmes Duke House (about 600 feet away); Congregation Temple Emanuel (about 800 feet away); First United Methodist Church Of Beaumont (approx. 0.2 miles away); Young Women's Christian Association Of Beaumont (approx. ¼ mile away); Westminster Presbyterian Church Of Beaumont (approx. 0.3 miles away); Enterprise-Journal (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Beaumont.
 
More about this marker. Located on the front porch of building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 41 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173296

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021