Haltom City in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The oldest marked grave in this pioneer community cemetery is that of Wiley Wilda Potts (Dec. 20, 1822 - Dec. 15, 1852). The one-acre tract, then part of the George Akers Grant, was legally set aside for burial purposes before 1860. More land was later donated, and by 1910 the site included 3.27 acres. Birdville Cemetery Association, organized under a 50-year charter in 1917, was rechartered in 1967. The cemetery contained 552 known graves in 1965. Several families have four generations buried here in the same plot. The site now encompasses seven acres and is still used for burials.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 413.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 32° 48.305′ N, 97° 15.164′ W. Marker is in Haltom City, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Cemetery Road. The marker is located near the front of the cemetery behind the gate entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6100 Cemetery Road, Haltom City TX 76117, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At Archibald Franklin Leonard (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Benjamin Franklin Barkley (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Birdville Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Birdville Baptist Church (approx. Ό mile away); West Fork Baptist Association (approx. Ό mile away); Harper's Rest Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Amon Carter Riverside High School and Riverside ISD (approx. 3.2 miles away); Mount Olivet Cemetery (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Haltom City.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.