Angleton in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Brazos Lighthouse
This structure is the turret from the Brazos Lighthouse erected near the mouth of the Brazos River in 1895-1896 to aid navigation through the newly constructed jetties into the river. Light originally came from an oil lamp producing 35,000 candlepower. By 1967 it was determined that the old lighthouse, now electrified and producing two million candlepower, was no longer needed. The property was acquired by Dow Chemical Company, the lighthouse dismantled, and this historic turret and its prismatic lens was donated to the Brazoria County Historical Museum.
Erected by Brazoria County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1896.
Location. 29° 10.13′ N, 95° 25.908′ W. Marker is in Angleton, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker can be reached from North Velasco Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Angleton TX 77515, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1895 Brazoria County Courthouse Column (a few steps from this marker); Robert J. Calder Old Brazoria County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugar Kettle (within shouting distance of this marker); Brazoria County Ring Of Honor (within shouting distance of this marker); Texas Sesquicentennial 1836-1986 (within shouting distance of this marker); Angleton Independent School District (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sweeny Home (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Angleton.
Regarding The Brazos Lighthouse.
The U. S. Lighthouse Board established the Brazos Lighthouse in 1896 just upstream of old Velasco at the first bend of the river, such that the light aligned with the centerline of the river channel as it met the Gulf. The agency was renamed the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1910, and merged into the Coast Guard in 1939. The Brazos Lighthouse was operated until 1954, but existed until 1967 when it was dismantled, so at some point in its history, it was administered by all of these agencies. The top turret (without Fresnel lens windows) was relocated in the early 1980's to the courthouse grounds to become
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. 4. submitted on May 15, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. 5. submitted on May 14, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.