Headquarters and Refuge
Built of locally quarried sandstone about 1820 and later expanded, the Conner House was used by both sides during the Civil War. After the First Battle of Manassas on July 21, 1861, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, who with Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard had commanded the victorious Southern army, kept his headquarters here until November. From here, Johnston secured his position and control of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, the tracks of which ran just east of the house. Johnston evacuated the area on March 8-9, 1862 to defend Richmond.
In August 1862, the Conner House changed sides when Col. Lewis B. Pierce, 12th Pennsylvania Cavalry, used it for his headquarters and a hospital. On the night of August 26, Pierce lay ill here as Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Confederate force approached from the southwest. Having captured Bristoe Station on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad line, Jackson ordered a rare night attack on the great Union supply depot at Manassas Junction. Gen. Isaac R. Trimble led the assault, brushing aside the Pennsylvanians when they opposed him in front of the house, and captured the depot easily. Within a few days,
The Conner House was named for its last private owner, who operated a dairy farm in the first half of the 20th century. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Orange and Alexandria Railroad, and the Virginia Civil War Trails series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
Location. 38° 45.95′ N, 77° 26.714′ W. Marker is in Manassas Park, Virginia. Marker is on Conner Drive 0.2 miles east of Euclid Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8220 Conner Dr, Manassas VA 20111, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Conner House Restoration (here, next to this marker); Battle of Bull Run Bridge (a few steps from this marker); Manassas 1825 (approx. 0.8 miles away); Weir Family Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Enslaved of Liberia (approx. 0.8 miles away); Liberia and the Weirs (approx. 0.8 miles away); Liberia (approx. 0.8 miles away); Turberville Memorial Garden (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Manassas Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 63 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on June 7, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.