Built by Joel Beach and operated as a tavern until 1789.
Later owned by the Adams family and for almost 100 years by the Jamesson family.
Both Confederate and and Union troops used the house during the Civil War. Earthworks built by Confederate troops during the winter of 1861 remain on the property.
Erected 2015 by The John Witt and Virginia Colony Chapters, Colonial Dames of the XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1789.
Location. 38° 50.555′ N, 77° 25.699′ W. Marker is in Centreville, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Mount Gilead Road and General Johnston Place, on the right when traveling south on Mount Gilead Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5662 General Johnston Pl, Centreville VA 20120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Gilead Historic Site (here, next to this marker); A Place on the High Ground
Credits. This page was last revised on May 15, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 125 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 15, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.