Jacksonville in Duval County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Arlington Town Center Ferry Landing
Ferry service from Jacksonville and Arlington began in 1914 and was Sponsored by the Alderman Company. The service gave access to 1,100 acres of plantation land bought and subdivided by the company in 1913 and provided the impetus for growth and home building. Prior to the start of ferry service, this site served as a public boat landing much as it does today.
Service originally consisted of two ferries, the Arlington and the Fairfield, capable of loading eight automobiles at a time. The landing and ticket offices were located at the foot of Eleven Street in Jacksonville area known as Fairfield and St. Johns Street – now Arlington Road in Arlington. The river crossing was one and one forth miles with a fifteen minute operating schedule. The ferry office had a telephone and was the message center for regular commuters.
By 1924 the ferry slip area had become the town center of Arlington. There were two general stores, Bradshaw’s and Frieseke’s and a garage and a gas station. Arlington’s first post office which began at Bradshaw’s store had its own building and had a bakery located in the rear, ice cream treats
The ferry service was sold to Capt. Anson Marg and remained in operation until 1933. Service resumed briefly in 1940, but was limited and with the exception of industrial activity, the community center gravitated to the Crossroads. The opening of the Mathews Bridge in 1953 provided the link to downtown Jacksonville, a need that was limited by the Arlington Ferry and Land Company.
(Photos and captions not legible)
Erected 2008 by Old Arlington Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 30° 20.035′ N, 81° 36.718′ W. Marker is in Jacksonville, Florida, in Duval County. Marker is on Arlington Road 0.1 miles west of River Bluff Road North, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located at the south side of the Arlington Marina east of the boat ramp. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5100 Arlington Road, Jacksonville FL 32211, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Crossroads (approx. half a mile away); Arlington Grammar School No. 46 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Historic Floral Bluff (approx. ¾ mile away); Historic Strawberry Plantation (approx. 0.8 miles away); Norman Silent Film Studios (approx. 1.1 miles away); Jacksonville And The Movie Industry (approx. 1.1 miles away); Delius House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Anna Madgigine Jai Kingsley (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonville.
Also see . . . Old Arlington History Revealed. (Submitted on May 16, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 39 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 16, 2021, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.