Jekyll Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Horton House Historic Site
— Jekyll Island —
Horton was labeled an " adventurer" when he decided to travel to the new colony and left a wife and two young sons in England. His family did not join him in Georgia until he was settled and established on his property. It was nearly five years before Horton was able to return to England and bring his family back to his farm on Jekyll Island.
In 1736 when William Horton first arrived on Jekyll Island it could not have been more isolated. He was the first European to occupy this land and was responsible for the first sustainable farm. His closest neighbors were at the settlement Frederica on the island to the north, St. Simons Island. This was Horton's
Erected by Friends of Historic Jekyll Island, Inc. , Jekyll Island Museum.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1735.
Location. 31° 6.123′ N, 81° 24.872′ W. Marker is in Jekyll Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Riverview Drive, on the right when traveling north. near Major Horton Dr. and house ruins. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jekyll Island GA 31527, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Horton House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Poulain du Bignon and du Bignon Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Tabby (within shouting distance of this marker); Major William Horton (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Horton House Historic SiteHorton House Harvest (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Horton House Historic Site (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jekyll Island.
Regarding Horton House Historic Site. Major Horton cleared fields here for cultivation of crops which supplied the settlers at Frederica on St. Simons Island, a neighboring island, who would have suffered except for this assistance.
Major Horton was a trusted officer chosen by James Oglethorpe for
important missions. Upon Oglethorpe`s final return to England in 1743, Major Horton succeeded him as commander of the military forces of the Colony of Georgia.
Also see . . . Fort Frederica, National Park Service. established in 1736 by James Oglethorpe to protect the southern boundary of his new colony of Georgia from the Spanish in Florida. Colonists from England, Scotland, and the Germanic states came to Georgia to support this endeavor. (Submitted on March 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 977 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.