Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sylvan Lake in Oakland County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Oakland County Boat Club

Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong

 
 
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 15, 2021
1. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker
Inscription.  
Many founding members toiled long days
in the early automobile factories to gather $500 to buy this site on Sylvan Lake. The first meetings were held in an old shed used for a boat livery. In 1916 the Boat Club was built with rooms for dining, dancing and meetings. The club's prospects dimmed when returning World War I veterans abandoned their boats for the new automobile craze. Eventually automobiles and the trolley line brought new members to Sylvan Lake looking for relief from the crowded roads and city life.

You Auto Know
Most club members used sailboats during World War II when there was a restriction on the use of gasoline for powerboats.
 
Erected 2013 by MotorCities National Heritage Area, National Park Service.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the MotorCities National Heritage Area series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1916.
 
Location. 42° 37.157′ N, 83° 19.923′ W. Marker is in Sylvan Lake, Michigan, in
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker — far left image image. Click for full size.
By Photo courtesy of Hank Callahan.
2. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker — far left image
Sailing on Sylvan Lake, 1916. Written on the photo: "Whistling for a breeze."
Click or scan to see
this page online
Oakland County. Marker is on Ferndale 0.1 miles east of Pontiac Drive, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2330 Ferndale, Keego Harbor MI 48320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. New Life for Children (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sylvan Lake Inn (about 700 feet away); The Great Escape (about 700 feet away); "X" Marks the Spot (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ordered by Mail - Sent by Rail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Learning and Growing (approx. half a mile away); "Body by Fisher" (approx. half a mile away); Welcome to Beaudette Park (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sylvan Lake.
 
Also see . . .  Welcome to the OCBC / Our History. Short history of the Oakland County Boat Club, including photographs, on the boat club's website. (Submitted on May 18, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.) 
 
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong — upper near left image image. Click for full size.
Photo courtesy of the Oakland County Boat Club.
3. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong — upper near left image
Earliest known photo of the Boat Club, 1916. At this point, the clubhouse was positioned on piers over the water and boats pulled in to shelter underneath.
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong — lower near left image image. Click for full size.
By Photo courtesy of Jonathan Hollerman.
4. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong — lower near left image
The Boat Club sponsors the annual Fourth of July fireworks. Both the club and Sylvan Lake citizens donate toward the cost.
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker — middle image image. Click for full size.
5. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker — middle image
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker — right images image. Click for full size.
Left: Photo courtesy of The Oakland Press. Right: Photo courtesy of the Oakland County Boat Club.
6. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker — right images
Left: Powerboats speed around the Sylvan Lake race course in the 1950s. An estimated eight to ten thousand people watched these races.
Right: Early regatta in the 1920s sponsored by the Oakland County Boat Club. The early boat races were given the name "Sylvanaqua".
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker—lower right images image. Click for full size.
Left: Photo courtesy of Kennedy and Charlotte Gamble. Right: Photo courtesy of the Oakland County Bo
7. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker—lower right images
Left: Boats embark from the boat club, 1927. In the 1930s, the building was turned 90 degrees and boats were no longer stored under the building.
Right: Michigan Governor "Soapy" Williams presents the Arthur S. Widrig trophy to winner Bill Hickson after the 1954 regatta.
Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel Seewald, May 15, 2021
8. Oakland County Boat Club: Centennial 1912-2012 ... and Still Going Strong Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 48 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on May 18, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173460

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021