CCC Builds A Park
The earliest development of Pearson Park was completed by 200 men from the Civilian Conservation Corps. Begun in 1933 under the New Deal, the CCC hired unemployed young Americans to work for the government in reforestation, conservation and construction of public parklands.
Directed by Max Shepherst of Metroparks, the men camped on Starr Avenue and labored in the muggy, mosquito-ridden swamp. They dug miles of trenches and ditches for drainage to establish park trails, planted trees, built ponds, shelters and fireplaces and laid out recreation areas. Louis Sweitzer, recognized as the most efficient CCC worker, was appointed as the first "Keeper” of Pearson Park.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1933.
Location. 41° 38.498′ N, 83° 26.299′ W. Marker is in Oregon, Ohio, in Lucas County. Marker is on Brown Trail just east of Pearson Park Drive,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Natural Mosquito Repellent (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Sticky Situation (approx. 0.6 miles away); United Hebrew Benevolent Cemetery Veterans Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away); Birmingham / Ironville (approx. 3.4 miles away); Peter and Robert Navarre (approx. 3.8 miles away); Peter Navarre (approx. 3.8 miles away); James B. Steedman (approx. 4 miles away); Dempsey-Willard Fight (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oregon.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.