Edwardsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The original school was razed in 1911, and a new four-room brick school was erected on the same site for black children in grades one through ten. In 1929, two additional classrooms and a gymnasium were added. The curriculum was expanded to include 11th grade in 1935 and 12th grade in 1940. For the first time, black students were able to complete their education in Edwardsville, the Board of Education integrated black students into the local school system in the Fall of 1951, but none of the African-American educators were rehired. Lincoln School was closed in 1972, despite the objections of parents and teachers.
During Lincoln School's 81 years as a black school, the building served not only as Edwardsville's center of African-American education but also, along with their churches,
Erected 2021 by Lincoln School Alumni, the City of Edwardsville, NAACP-Edwardsville, & the Illinois State Historical Society.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education. In addition, it is included in the Illinois State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 38° 49.146′ N, 89° 57.851′ W. Marker is in Edwardsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Illinois Route 143) and Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west on North Main Street. Marker is outside the Mannie Jackson Center for the Humanities building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1210 N Main St, Edwardsville IL 62025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Coles and Slavery (a few steps from this marker); The Pogue Store Edwardsville National Bank Clock (approx. half a mile away); First Cemetery in the City of Edwardsville (approx. half a mile away); Site of Abraham Lincoln's Speech (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edwardsville (approx. 0.6 miles away); Ninian Edwards (approx. 0.6 miles away); Edwardsville, Illinois (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Edwardsville.
More about this marker. Marker was dedicated and unveiled on May 22, 2021.
Also see . . . Lincoln School history. More history about the school and how it was being used during its later years. An SIUE (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville) fraternity purchased the building in the late 1990s and used it for student housing. By 2007, the Bank of Edwardsville acquired the building and a year later, Mannie Jackson bought it. Jackson, who attended Lincoln School and later became the first African-American to own a major sports franchise (the Harlem Globetrotters), refurbished the old building and today it is known as the Mannie Jackson Center for the Humanities. (Submitted on May 22, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 22, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 22, 2021, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois.