Kurtz's Mill Covered Bridge
Wesley W. Upp originally built this covered bridge in 1876 near Christian Sensenig's Mill. It replaced an earlier bridge that was destroyed by winter rain and ice the previous year. Mennonite Pastor John S. Kurtz (1859-1927) purchased the mill property in 1894 from where this covered bridge derived its name. Kurtz's Mill was also known as the "Green Bank Mills" until he sold the property in 1923. In 1964 Kurtz's Mill was destroyed by a fire.
Erected by Lancaster Bicycle Club.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Covered Bridges series list.
Location. 40° 0.92′ N, 76° 16.936′ W. Marker is near Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. It is in
Regionally, this marker is in South-Central Pennsylvania, specifically in Pennsylvania Dutch Country, and in the Susquehanna Valley. It is also in the American Northeast and in the Mid-Atlantic. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Confederacy and also one of the original Thirteen Colonies.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker: Great Indian Warrior Trading Path (approx. Ό mile away); A Dedication (approx. Ό mile away); Native Americans in Lancaster County (approx. Ό mile away); Tenant Farmer's House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rock Ford (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also

More about this marker. The top left of the marker contains a map with the caption: "1875 Bridge Proposal"
The bottom left of the marker contains the Lancaster County seal, with the caption: "Lancaster County Commissioners: Chairman Joshua G. Parsons, Vice Chair Dennis P. Stuckey, Commissioner Craig E. Lehman. Bridge records courtesy of the Lancaster County Archives. Sign Provided by the Lancaster Bicycle Club."
Credits. This page was last revised on October 12, 2024. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2020, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,057 times since then and 128 times this year. Last updated on May 23, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 16, 2020, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. 7. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. 8. submitted on October 9, 2024. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.






