The Old River Park Swimming Pool Light Tower
The tower to your right was the centerpiece of a large round swimming pool at Old River Park, located just off Patterson Boulevard near Carillon Park. The swimming pool could accommodate 5,000 people.
Col. Edward A. Deeds, chairman of the National Cash Register Company (NCR) and Carillon Park founder, began developing the 166-acre Old River Park in 1937 as a recreational park for the employees of NCR and their families. In addition to the pool, the park also had a large bathhouse, a 1.5 mile boating lagoon, picnic facilities, tennis courts and baseball diamonds, a miniature golf course, giant checker and chess boards, and more.
In 1998, due to declining park attendance and increasing costs, NCR closed the park and removed the swimming pool but kept the tower in place. The University of Dayton bought the property in 2009 and donated the tower to Dayton History in 2018.
Background photo: Old River Park, 1944. Deeds Carillon is in the background. Inset left to right: The NCR Band, circa 1950. The concert band was made up of area high school students. NCR sponsored the band from
Photographs from the collections of Dayton History
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Parks & Recreational Areas. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. 39° 43.677′ N, 84° 12.029′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard 0.1 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Carillon Blvd, Dayton OH 45409, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gristmill (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Gristmill (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Old River Park Swimming Pool Light Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Marie Sturwold Aull (within shouting distance of this marker); The Marie Aull Tribute Sculpture & Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Deeds Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); History on the Hills Interpretive Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Newcom House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.