Wright Cycle Company
Wilbur and Orville Wright built a giant bicycle-built-for-two, using the four-foot tall front wheels from two high-wheel bicycles.
The Wright Cycle Company building is a replica of the shop in which Wilbur and Orville Wright designed and built their first three airplanes. The original building was located at 1127 West Third Street in Dayton.
The Wrights moved their printing and bicycle businesses into the original building in 1897. They closed the bicycle shop in 1908, but continued to use space as a laboratory and office until 1916. In 1936, Henry Ford bought the building and moved it to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan.
Replica built in 1972 in Carillon Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1897.
Location. 39° 43.67′ N, 84° 12.072′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Carillon Boulevard 0.2 miles west of South Patterson Boulevard, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dayton OH 45439, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 42 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 23, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.