Watervliet Shaker Building
Richard McNemar's print shop in this building made Watervliet a center of Shaker printing. He printed the second Shaker hymnal ever published, as well as numerous tracts and pamphlets.
The Shakers came to America from England in 1774. A communal religious sect, they established 19 villages in the United States, four of which were in Ohio. The Watervliet Shakers ran a print shop, woolen mill and gristmill. They sold their goods at the market in downtown Dayton. Shakers were known for their furniture making and for being the first to sell garden seeds in paper packets.
This building reflects the Shakers' simplicity in design. Their sense of order and neatness is reflected in the clean lines and lack of ornamentation in their architecture, furniture, baskets, and other craftwork.
Built circa 1819 in eastern Van Buren Township, now the City of Kettering.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Communications • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1774.
Location. 39° 43.768′ N, 84°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Locust Grove School (within shouting distance of this marker); Newcom Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Sun Dial (about 400 feet away); Hetzel Summer Kitchen (about 400 feet away); Sugar Camp WAVES Cabin (about 400 feet away); William Morris House (about 400 feet away); Newcom House (about 400 feet away); Deeds Barn (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. This page has been viewed 38 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 24, 2021, by TeamOHE of Wauseon, Ohio. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.