Discipline When Needed
— Fort Atkinson State Preserve —
Fort Atkinson was built in order to protect the Ho-Chunk (Winnebago) Nation from their rivals the Meskwaki and Sauk (Sac and Fox) Nations as well as the Isanti Dakota (Santee Sioux) Nation. It was, however, also built to limit Euro-American settlement in northeast Iowa until it could be done in a controlled fashion after the Ho-Chunk Nation was restricted to the Neutral Ground.
By 1848, the Ho-Chunk Nation was removed to the Minnesota territory. The last of the troops left Fort Atkinson in 1849 when the fort was put in the hands of overseers paid for by the military until 1855. It was then sold to private citizens of the area.
Erected by Iowa Department of Natural Resources.
Topics. This historical marker is
Location. 43° 8.738′ N, 91° 56.398′ W. Marker is in Fort Atkinson, Iowa, in Winneshiek County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of 2nd Street and 8th Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 2nd St NW, Fort Atkinson IA 52144, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sutler's Store and Post Commissary (a few steps from this marker); North Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Atkinson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Block House (within shouting distance of this marker); South Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Constructing Fort Atkinson (within shouting distance of this marker); East Officers' Quarters (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockade & Main Gate (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Atkinson.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 24, 2021. This page has been viewed 27 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 24, 2021. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.