Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smithville in Monroe County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Town of Smithville

 
 
Town of Smithville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 24, 2021
1. Town of Smithville Marker
Inscription.  Smithville had its beginning on December 3, 1836, when Co Chubby, a Chickasaw Indian Co-signatory of the Treaty of Pontotoc, sold Section 6, Township 12S, Range 9E to James D. Couch.

About 1840, William Smith purchased land at this site and built a log house and store. The village of Smithville was later surveyed around his home. Other early settlers included brothers William and Cornelius Dowd, Zachariah Wall, Henry Stegall, James Elliott, M.D., Daniel McCrummen, M.D., James Dalrymple, and the Cheek and Cowley families. The Smithville landing on the nearby Tombigbee River served the village---and later the town ---as the chief means of trade and communication prior to the coming of the railroads.

The town of Smithville was chartered in 1846, and a post office was opened on June 8 of that year.

During the Civil War, men from Smithville and other areas of Monroe County joined Company A (Red Rovers), 5th Mississippi Infantry, which was mustered into Confederate service at Athens on April 27, 1861.

The economy of Smithville received a boost with the establishment of the short-line Mississippian Railroad in

Smithville Police Department, Town Hall and marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, May 24, 2021
2. Smithville Police Department, Town Hall and marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1921. Initially used primarily as a logging line, the railroad ran from Amory to Fulton via Smithville.

Today Smithville and Aberdeen are the only surviving antebellum municipalities in Monroe County.
 
Erected 2009 by Dalrymple Family Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is April 27, 1861.
 
Location. 34° 4.144′ N, 88° 23.85′ W. Marker is in Smithville, Mississippi, in Monroe County. Marker is on Mississippi Route 25 south of Elm Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 63439 MS-25, Smithville MS 38870, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rod Brasfield (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gaines Trace (approx. 0.4 miles away); Chickasaw Cession (approx. 7.1 miles away); Amory, Mississippi: Blues from a Railroad Town (approx. 7.8 miles away); Amory's Tribute to the Heroes of 1861—1865 (approx. 7.8 miles away); Gilmore Sanitarium (approx. 7.9 miles away); Becker Post Office (approx. 8 miles away); Mound Cemetery (approx. 9.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smithville.
 
Also see . . .  History of Smithville from its website. (Submitted on May 25, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)

 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 46 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2021, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173895

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2021