Near Brazoria in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cedar Lake Salt Works
Built in Confederate Texas in 1861-1862. Furnished essential salt to army and civilians. Raided by landing parties of Federals from Gulf ships, Nov. 27, 1862, lost buildings, 22 kettles, 4 large boilers. 10 tons of salt in hide bags was partly ruined. A nearby plant, when attacked next day, was defended by Texas calvary and escaped destruction. Winson's Works, below the San Bernard, was raided. But Moseley's Battery, 7th Texas Artillery Battalion, repulsed the raiders, wounding or killing 23 men as they got into their boats.
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9544.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 28° 54.153′ N, 95° 38.107′ W. Marker was near Brazoria, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker could be reached from Farm to Market Road 2611 0.1 miles east of Post Office Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Brazoria TX 77422, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers McCroskey-Stringfellow House (approx. 2.9 miles away); History of Paradise Memorial Cemetery (approx. 5.3 miles away); Levi Jordan Plantation (approx. 6.7 miles away); Confederate Defenses at the Mouth of Caney Creek (approx. 9.1 miles away); Ellerslie Plantation (approx. 9.7 miles away); Old Oakland (approx. 9.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Brazoria (approx. 10˝ miles away); Brazoria Fallen Heroes Memorial (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brazoria.
Regarding Cedar Lake Salt Works. The marker was formerly located on the south side of FM-2611 at a point just east of Cedar Lake Creek (which forms the boundary between Brazoria and Matagorda counties in this area) on the Brazoria County side, but near the unincorporated community named as "Cedar Lake" (which is located on the Matagorda County side). At some point, the marker was apparently taken or stolen, and is no longer found at the indicated location. Although the marker was located at this spot, the actual location of the described salt works was about 5 miles southeast where "Cedar Lake Creek" runs into a shallow coastal bay known as "Cedar Lake" (as shown in the attached diagram). On modern maps, this location seems to have been disturbed significantly by the construction of the Gulf
Credits. This page was last revised on May 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. This page has been viewed 32 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 26, 2021, by Chris Kneupper of Brazoria, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.