Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Hempfield Township in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Landis Mill Covered Bridge (1873)

Little Conestoga #1

 
 
Landis Mill Covered Bridge (1873) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, June 13, 2020
1. Landis Mill Covered Bridge (1873) Marker
Inscription.  Court appointed bridge viewers met here on September 25, 1867 and determined that a bridge was "indispensably necessary." Well known bridge builder, Elias McMellen, built this bridge in 1873 for $969 near the Landis Mill. The three-story stone mill on the west side of this creek was built around 1813. John H. L. Landis (1795-1864) purchased the adjacent mill in 1834 which became known as the "Pike Mill." This mill was later known as the "Oreville" grist and saw mill. In 1931, the executors of John L. Landis (1834-1911) sold the mill property including the "old stone grist mill" which had been in the Landis family for nearly a century. The Landis Mill bridge is the shortest covered bridge still in use and uniquely the only one with king post truss construction.
 
Erected by Lancaster Bicycle Club.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & ViaductsRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 40° 4.118′ N, 76° 20.71′ W. Marker is in East Hempfield Township, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County.
The Landis Mill Covered Bridge is visible behind the marker. image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, June 13, 2020
2. The Landis Mill Covered Bridge is visible behind the marker.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is on Shreiner Station Road, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located at a pull-off on the left side of Shreiner Station Road, just before the Landis Mill Covered Bridge. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 896l Plaza Blvd, Lancaster PA 17601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pennsylvania Rifle (approx. 1.4 miles away); Wheatland (approx. 1˝ miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Roll of Honor (approx. 1.6 miles away); Vietnam and Korean War Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Citizen Soldier (approx. 1.6 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); David M. Mayer House (approx. 1.7 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The top left of the marker contains a map with the caption: "1899 Landis Mill."
The bottom left of the marker contains the Lancaster County seal, with the caption: "Lancaster County Commissioners: Chairman Joshua G. Parsons, Vice Chair Dennis P. Stuckey, Commissioner Craig E. Lehman. Bridge records courtesy of the Lancaster County Archives. Sign provided by the Lancaster Bicycle Club."
 
Plaque inside of bridge image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, June 13, 2020
3. Plaque inside of bridge
Plaque reads: "Co. of Lancaster Little Conestoga I Shreiner Station Road East Hempfield/Manheim Landis Mill 1873 53' To report damage 717-299-8323 For Emergency 911"
Truss joint in center of bridge. image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, June 13, 2020
4. Truss joint in center of bridge.
The bridge identification sign reads: "Little Conestoga 1 Shreiner Station." The yellow arrow pointing downward reads: "TWP line"
Side view of the Landis Mill Covered Bridge. image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, June 27, 2020
5. Side view of the Landis Mill Covered Bridge.
Notice the painting of a fish on the stone support structure.
Other side of the Landis Mill Covered Bridge image. Click for full size.
By Shane Oliver, June 27, 2020
6. Other side of the Landis Mill Covered Bridge
The "Landis Mill Covered Bridge (1873)" is visible at the pull-off on the other side of Little Conestoga Creek.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2020, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 46 times since then and 21 times this year. Last updated on May 27, 2021, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 16, 2020, by Shane Oliver of Richmond, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=173992

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2021