Searcy in White County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
A Walk Through History
Our History...Our Heritage
Named for Richard Searcy, an early Arkansas territory settler, the city of Searcy was established by the Arkansas State legislature to serve as the county seat in 1837. Early resident and surveyor Israel Moore named the original streets of Searcy after those of Old Philadelphia; these included Race, Arch, Vine, Market, Spring, Cherry, Locust, Pine and Spruce. He replaced the famous Chestnut Street with current day Main Street which he felt more befitting to a frontier town. It is along these very streets you can enjoy an interactive tour of many of Searcy's oldest historical homes and businesses. Sites along this historical trail include the Georgian-style White County courthouse completed in 1871, the Hicks-Dugan-Deener house built in 1855, the Lattimer house built in 1895, the site of Galloway College founded in 1889 and the location of Harding University since 1934 and Yarnell's Ice Cream Company and the Rialto Theater both built in 1923. To learn more of the history of Searcy and take part in this interactive tour simply scan the quick response code and begin your Walk Through History.
This interactive tour was created for
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 35° 14.78′ N, 91° 44.233′ W. Marker is in Searcy, Arkansas, in White County. Marker is at the intersection of East Woodruff Avenue and Spring Street, on the right when traveling south on East Woodruff Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Searcy AR 72143, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. White County Confederate Monument (approx. ¼ mile away); White County Court House (approx. ¼ mile away); In Loving Memory of those from White County (approx. 0.3 miles away); White County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); White County Vietnam Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Brig. Gen. Dandridge McRae (approx. 0.6 miles away); Spanish Land Grant to John Fayac (approx. 1.4 miles away); Searcy Landing in the Civil War / Guerrilla War on the Little Red (approx. 2.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Searcy.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 30, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 27, 2021, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. This page has been viewed 37 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 27, 2021, by Thomas Smith of Waterloo, Ill. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.