Near Brownfield in Terry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Mail Relay Station
(500 yards west)
By 1903, W.J. (1858-1930) and Mary E. (1863-1958) French had built a two-story home near this site, and it was a stop for freighters from the Texas & Pacific Railroad. Freighter rigs usually consisted of two wagons drawn by several horses, and the Frenches offered a campground, water, hot meals and a horse pen. Cattle drovers also rested here on their way through the area. In 1905, the French home became a stop along a mail route from Lamesa, known then as Chicago, through Brownfield to Gomez, a 40-mile trip. The mail hacks also carried passengers. The mail service was discontinued in 1910 when the mail was rerouted.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3188.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 32° 59.152′ N, 102° 9.767′ W. Marker is near Brownfield, Texas, in Terry County. Marker is on State Highway 137, 14.3 miles south of US 62/385, on the right when traveling south. From the intersection of Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brownfield TX 79316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Moore Community (approx. 8 miles away); Forrester Cemetery (approx. 11.1 miles away); Terry County (approx. 13.9 miles away); A.M. Brownfield Home (approx. 14½ miles away); Terry County's First Jail (approx. 14½ miles away); Maids and Matrons Club (approx. 14.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Brownfield (approx. 14.9 miles away); Colonel B. F. Terry / Terry's Texas Rangers (approx. 15 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brownfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 82 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.