Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Wilson in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Green Memorial Park Cemetery

 
 
Green Memorial Park Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen Lowrey, May 25, 2021
1. Green Memorial Park Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

Located south of the townsite of Wilson, Green Memorial Park Cemetery was established as part of the farming community of Wilson. In 1906, William Green and his associates from Shiner, Texas, purchased land and a short time later Green and Lonnie Lumsden (1877-1951), Arkansas native and cousin to Green, bought land from the Wilson County School lands block in Lynn county. By 1909, sections were sold to farmers and settlers of the area that came to known as Wilson. Although Green never resided In Wilson or Lynn County, many of the streets and places bear his name, including Green Memorial Park Cemetery. Lonnie Lumsden, however, moved to Wilson shortly after purchasing land and lived there his entire life and was a tireless advocate for the city. Lonnie and his wife, Callie Lumsden (1885-1981), are buried in Green Memorial Park Cemetery, along with descendants.

The first recorded burials is that of Thomas E. Dawson, the father Of Callie Lumsden, in December 1923. However, two cenotaphs for Richard Williams and Samuel Coleman are present with earlier dates. Many Pioneer families and veterans dating
Green Memorial Park Cemetery and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen Lowrey, May 25, 2021
2. Green Memorial Park Cemetery and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
to the civil war are buried here, including civil war veteran John Bone King (1844- 1935) and World war II veterans William Green Lumsden (1917:1974) And Guadalupe Arellano (1920-2005). In addition, evidence of the thriving German American and Hispanic population of Wilson is found throughout the cemetery in such family names as Wilke, Gicklhorn, Steinhauser, Talkmit and Dube, as well as Bustamante, Garces and Rodriguez. A cemetery association was established in 1930 to maintain this historic cemetery, a tangible reminder of the area's heritage.
Historic Texas Cemetery - 2016

Marker is property of the State of Texas

 
Erected 2016 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18675.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
 
Location. 33° 18.193′ N, 101° 44.371′ W. Marker is near Wilson, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 400 1.1 miles south of Wellhausen Rd, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson TX 79381, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wilson Mercantile Company (approx. 1.3 miles away); Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (approx. 1.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers' Route (approx.
Green Memorial Park Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Allen Lowrey, May 25, 2021
3. Green Memorial Park Cemetery
1.4 miles away); Lynn County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 10 miles away); Tahoka (approx. 10 miles away); Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 10.1 miles away); a different marker also named Lynn County (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
 
Green Memorial Park Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Allen Lowrey, May 25, 2021
4. Green Memorial Park Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 29, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 29, 2021, by Allen Lowrey of Amarillo, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=174142

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2021